Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Day







So we took the kids outside to play in the snow this morning before nap time. Our eldest daughter loved it - our younger son - not so much. Everytime snow got anywhere near his face, he freaked - he just wanted to make snow angels and run around in it. We didn't have enough snow to really make a snow man, but it was more than we had at any other point this year, and well, they have been driving us nuts to take them out - so we did. The baby - HATED it! We pulled her around on the sled for a while and Daddy actually went down on the sled with her but she was not impressed. So this was our morning.


All after an absolutely terrible night. When I blogged last night, (because it was my first blog) I neglected to tell you the day that we had! It wasn't suppose to snow yesterday, but it did! Not a lot, just enough. I left work at 330 to go and pick up the baby from daycare and meet my husband at my parents house to drop off a computer, than meet my ex-husband to pick up the children before heading home. Well the conditions were less than favorable when I left work, so I skidded to a stop at the daycare, and radioed to my husband to please stop on his way, and pick both the baby and I before proceeding to my parents, as I was a little nervous about driving the 30 mins to their house. Well, it is a good thing I did. I called the ex-husband to tell him to drop the kids at my parents and I would be there shortly - than called my mother to tell her that he was coming to drop them off and we would be following closely behind - or so I thought. Our 30 min trip turned into a 3 hour trip. Roads were closed, hills were unclimbable - all the while the poor baby in the back seat. Around 6:00 we found a gas station and were able to get her some crackers and more juice and some other goodies to sustain her until we got to my parents house - another 45 mins later. We decided to spend the night there, but when the kids wouldn't settle, we caved in and drove the 40 mins home in the fog (fog and icy road conditions do NOT go well together). My husband, the trooper that he is, got us home no problem, but not without my shrieks and sighing. I love him to pieces, but i am terrified on icy roads, and I don't hide that fear well. At one point, I just closed my eyes and prayed, "Lord, get us home safely". And He did, I knew he would. So, I am at home today (one of my 2 days off a week) and my husband took off too!
We spent the morning with the kids and than came in and had hot chocolate and watched the inauguration with my 5 year old. She didn't really understand, but I tried to explain just how important a day this was in history. The other kids were sleeping, so we got to watch it in peace. It was pretty moving - I know not everyone agrees with the President - I guess I can say that now - but the overwhelming feeling you get looking at the crowd of people who never thought that they would see this day makes me proud. Proud that quite possible our nation has overcome one of the toughest obstacles we have ever faced. It is a new day for Americans, for the world, and as always, I am proud to have witnessed it, and to have the freedom worship my God - which in many countries, is a luxury. We have at least 4 years to see what President Obama can do and will do - so even if you don't agree - be on your knees, praying for our country, it's leaders, and it's people. God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment